3 days' worth
3 large beetroots, peeled
2 apples, roughly chopped
3 cups pre cooked pearl barley
1 bunch of parsley, roughly picked
1 cup slivered almonds
3 cups baby spinach leaves 45g goats cheese
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1 tsp sumac
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
- Throw the beets in an oven tray with some garlic, thyme, olive oil and salt & pepper and roast them in the oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, or until they’re tender.
- Toast the almonds by throwing them into a dry pan over low heat and toss them until they’re golden brown.
- Roughly chop 1/2 an apple, making sure you cut around the core.
- For the dressing, pour all of the ingredients into a small jar, throw on the lid and shake for 30 seconds.
- To construct the salad, in a large bowl place 1/3 of the roasted beets, 1 cup of pearl barley, 1/3 cup toasted almonds, 1 cup of spinach leaves, 1/3 of the parsley and the chopped apple. Season generously with salt and pepper and when it’s ready to serve pour over around 1/3 of the dressing (take the jar with you to work if need be) Give the salad a good mix, throw on a plate and then top with around 15g of crumbled goats cheese and a pinch of sumac.
- Repeat with the remainder of the salad and you have lunch for three days!